Wednesday, February 11, 2015

DIY Valentine's Card with Crochet Brooch!


It happens every year. Valentines Day equals corny messages and bad love songs stuck in my head. For example right now in my head I am singing "what is luh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-ve, anyway? Does anybody love anybody anyway?" and doing the obligatory shoulder pushy eighties dance. And now you are too. Sorry.

Last year I made gifts for my kids which were a hit! So here I go again. Mr Acorn-head brooch was made using this pattern from crochetspot. I added a face and leaf and a brooch back - it's handy to use your ends to sew on the brooch back.


Miss Apple-face was made using a pattern for an apple fridge magnet by Cylinda Mathews but I can't for the life of me find the link! So I've included the pattern below. To make the brooch I downsized a little, leaving out Row 4 and adjusting the shaping of row 6 accordingly. It was simple. Trust me.


It looked fine on plain old card stock in the photo above, I know, I know, but I couldn't help over complicating things with a little bit of added collaged imagery!



Pin the brooch through the card and it's done!
 
 
 Here are the speech bubbles if you want to print them for yourself... 
 
 
and here is the apple brooch pattern. I've translated it to English/Australian Terms. Yay!

Green Apple Designed by Cylinda Mathews

Materials:
Small amount of worsted weight yarn, (Lt. Green)
Small amount of worsted weight yarn, (Brown)
Small amount of worsted weight yarn, (Dark Green)
Hook size F (I used a 3.5 and 3.0)
Hook size E


Finished Size 3" W x 4" T

Apple:(Using Lt. Green and Size F hook)
Row 1) Ch 2; 8 dc in 2nd chain from hook; join with a slip st in first dc: 8 dc.


Row 2) Ch 1, 2 dc in joining; * 2 dc in next dc; repeat from * around; join with a slip st in first dc: 16 dc.

Row 3) Ch 1, dc in joining, 2 dc in next dc; * sd in next dc, 2 dc in next dc; repeat from * around; join with a slip st in first dc: 24 dc.

Row 4) Ch 1, sc in joining, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc; * dc in next 2 dc, 2 dc in next sc; repeat from * around; join with a slip st in first dc: 32 dc.

Row 5) Ch 2, htr in next dc, tr in next dc, (2 dtr in next dc) twice, tr in next dc, htr in next dc, dc in next dc (center top), htr in next dc, tr in next cc, (2 dtr in next dc) twice, tr in next dc, htr in next dc, dc in next 6 dc, htr in next dc, 2 tr in next dc, htr in next dc, dc in next 2 dc, htr in next dc, 2 tr in next dc, htr in next dc, dc in last 4 dc; join with a slip st to 2nd ch of beg. ch 2. Fasten off, secure ends.

Stem:(Using Brown and Size F hook)
Row 1) Attach Brown to center top of Apple; Ch 1, dc in joining; ch 1, turn work.


Row 2) dc in dc. Fasten off, secure ends.

Leaf:(Using Dark Green and Size E hook)
Row 1) Attach thread to center top of Apple in same stitch stem is worked; Ch 7, dc in 2nd chain from hook, htr in next ch, tr in next 2 ch, htr in next ch, dc in last ch, slip st joining. Fasten off, secure ends.


Finishing:
Attach magnet to back or Brooch clasp.

1 comment:

  1. These are v.cute Julianne, but next time write the instructions in English ;)

    ReplyDelete