Sunday, February 17, 2013

A piece of cloth





"a piece of cloth"exhibition, curated by Liz Jones of Gleaners inc and Betty Jo fame, is part of L'oreal fashion week. Each artist is given a swatch of the same fabric to respond to in any way.

I've been playing around with my piece of cloth for weeks and weeks. And it's time I admitted it - it hasn't been an automatic bond. For some time there, I thought I may have to do something with the paper bag the piece of cloth came in! You see, I seemed to have an aversion to my piece of cloth.




The top left image is the original piece of cloth, resplendent in Seventies hues of orange, yellow, brown, green and a hint of dark red....I played around with colour - and decided I like the lines best of all.... I worked on some designs based on the lines....





But then, last week, something happened. I suddenly embraced the colour scheme! I suddenly discovered a fondness for my piece of cloth and found myself making something far more interesting....and colourful......I hope....stay toooned.....Oh the creative process is a strange and mysterious thing. Or as my wise friend, aphorist Kelly Hartland would say,

"Creativity flourishes on the brink of destruction"


Exhibition opens on 8th of March. Better get a wriggle on!

7 comments:

  1. Keeping us in suspenders Julianne! Loving the sketches xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm anxiously waiting to see what you come up with. I actually like the fabric you ended up with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I like it now too. You would make a lovely hexie flower with it, Irene. I was feeling my designs were a bit boring so I'm glad I've come up with something a bit crazy!

      Delete
  3. I like the fabric, the way you've interpreted it in a fashiony way, and that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo..love the fabric!
    can't wait to see ur finished product.
    mezz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally had an aversion to the colors too and sat on it for weeks till I could create something I would actually wear myself (: Can't wait to see what you've come up with.

    ReplyDelete